Job Opportunities in Integrative Medicine
Leadership Program in Integrative Healthcare at Duke University Now Accepting Applications
The application for February 2015 enrollment in The Leadership Program in Integrative Healthcare at Duke University is now open. To apply, or for additional information, please visit our website http://integrativehealthleaders.org/. If you have questions about the program or the application process,contact Program Manager Damian Gallina at email@example.com or (919) 684-9924.
Editor-in-Chief/Co–Editors-in Chief Global Advances in Health and Medicine
The Editor-in-Chief (EIC) or team of two Co–Editors-in-Chief (CEIC), will serve as the Global Advances in Health and Medicine (the journal) editorial leader(s) and will be responsible for the timely production of six issues of the journal per year.
Published in digital and print formats, the bimonthly online journal is circulated to more than 110,000 individuals in 40 countries. Content includes indexed, peer-reviewed original research, hypotheses, reviews (systematic and narrative), high-quality clinical case reports, clinical trials, and original articles, some of which are compiled into topical themed issues. The content can be accessed online at www.gahmj.com.
With a focus on responsive design, the journal is committed to delivering content on multiple devices, including tablets and mobile platforms. The journal will also be developing a more robust email newsletter delivery program over the coming months. The EIC or CEIC will work closely with production, design, and technology management personnel to ensure success across these devices and distribution channels.
• Overall responsibility for the editorial strategy as the subject expert who can shape the journal and its web platform content into a vibrant forum for communications and ensure publication of the most relevant and high-quality, practice-changing research, education, and practice patterns within whole systems–oriented health and medicine, convergence of different healing traditions globally, and high-quality case reports.
• Communicate publication guidelines and policies (Instructions for Authors and Reviewers, Ethical Guidelines, Peer-Review Processes, Editorial Board Reports, Editor Meetings).
• Communicate guidelines and policies to editors (editor work descriptions, GAHM policies and procedures); oversee and develop strategy for editor engagement.
• Preside on editorial meeting calls to review submissions and effective content management.
• Oversee the Editorial Board policy, selection, engagement, and communications.
• Determine the editorial content/calendar (news, columns, abstracts, book reviews).
• Solicit and encourage manuscript submissions to ensure percentage ranges within types of articles from authors whose voice and vision best align with GAHMJ—original research, hypotheses, pilot studies, brief reports, research letters, systematic and narrative reviews, case reports, and case series.
• Oversee and participate in content management activities (review submitted rejection process)
• Oversee guest editors as they manage editorial content within special themed issues.
• Occasionally rework entire articles in collaboration with authors.
• Hold oneself to final accountability for the quality of each article. Conduct cross-checking and
fact-checking for the examination of all references in the articles.
• Uphold standards of performance and ensure integrity, consistency, and quality.
• Collaborate with GAHM business departments to develop the journal and to understand, as appropriate, the business issues most relevant to ensuring the overall health and growth of the organization.
• Budget and monitor expenditures and income for the journal, liaising with finance department to ensure timely payment of relevant invoices for producing the journal.
• Oversee Production Team, Editorial Board, and Editors to ensure the timely production and
distribution of the journal.
Corporate partnership development
• Working with key GAHM leadership and Publisher, assist in the planning and execution of strategic collaborative partnerships and alliances to meet GAHM LLC organizational objectives
Qualifications / Background / Experience
• Seven plus years of substantial post-doc research experience in a relevant field and editorial experience, including an understanding of the healthcare research and editorial process, journal production, and running an editorial team.
• Demonstrated experience with the business aspects of medical/healthcare journal publishing.
• Demonstrated experience with medicine/science/healthcare and new communication technologies.
• Demonstrated leadership and management skills.
• Excellent research, analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent oral, written, and online communication skills.
• Commitment to quality, productivity, and deadline-driven performance.
• Team builder with global connections.
• Offers a strategic perspective and professional expertise.
• High sense of purpose, integrity and honesty.
• MD or PhD in a relevant discipline.
About Global Advances in Health and Medicine
Founded in 2011, Global Advances in Health and Medicine LLC (GAHM LLC) looks to accelerate the recognition and broaden the application of global advances in health and medicine, resulting in improved population-health management, healthcare delivery, and patient outcomes. As a forum for international exchange of information, Global Advances in Health and Medicine (the journal) was launched in early 2012. The GAHM LLC model integrates the publishing platform of the journal with healthcare stakeholder collaborations and data management.
Peer-reviewed, indexed (PubMed Central, EMBASE, Scirus, and HINARI), and published in print and online, the journal content focuses on whole systems–oriented approaches in health and medicine, global convergences in health and medicine, and high-quality case reports. The journal is team-based and cross-disciplinary and takes advantages of emergent digital technologies.
In 2012, the journal led the development of the CARE Guidelines to standardize a writing template and guidelines for writing medical case reports. The open-access CARE guidelines and writing templates were published simultaneously in seven international medical journals in September 2013 and presented at the International Congress on Peer Review sponsored by JAMA and BMJ.
Two PhD Opportunities Available with Clinical Epidemiology Experience
University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
The CARE Program for Integrative Health & Healing (www.care.ualberta.ca) at the University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada has two PhD positions available to start in Sept 2014 or Jan 2015. Ideal candidates will hold a MSc with clinical epidemiology experience.
1) SafetyNET - creating a culture of spinal manipulation therapy. The candidate in this position will conduct active surveillance studies in offices where spinal manipulation occurs (chiropractic, physical therapist, medical doctors, etc.). A clinical designation in a field that conducts spinal manipulation
2) Melatonin for pediatric patients with ADHD. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in epidemiology and conducting N-of-1 trials. All graduate students with the CARE Program are supervised by Dr. Sunita Vohra, and will be completing studies in one of the following departments at the University of Alberta: Department of Pediatrics, Department of Medicine, or School of Public Health.
To apply for these positions, please send your cv, copies of recent transcripts, and a letter of intent to Anastasia at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Program Director, Boston Medical Center Program for Integrative Medicine and Health Disparities
The Boston Medical Center Program for Integrative Medicine and Health Disparities (www.bu.edu/integrativemed) aims to demonstrate the value integrative medicine can add in improving health and quality of life for all patients regardless of income; develop models of and deliver sustainable integrative services at BMC and affiliated practices, advance rigorous research and dissemination; and educate health care professionals and the public about the integrative health care model. The Program Director will be a highly competent and energetic professional with passion and expertise to promote the Program’s impact, sustainability, and visibility. The successful candidate will oversee and manage all aspects of Program operations, with a focus on strategic and business planning, fundraising, communications, personnel supervision, and financial management.
• Requires a Bachelors degree, Masters, or Doctoral level degree in Public Health, or Business administration or relevant field highly preferred.
• Must have a minimum of five years of experience in a clinical health program or similar setting, with at least 3 years in a leadership or supervisory role.
• Demonstrated ability and experience in areas such as finance, training, team building, program development/management, problem solving, and community building.
If interested, please email cover letter and CV to Robert Saper, MD MPH (email@example.com), Director of Integrative Medicine, Department of Family Medicine, Boston Medical Center.